Before the Road Trip

In response to several friends asking me to tell them about our road trip to California Wine Country, I've started this blog. I hope you find it interesting and check back frequently. We plan to head out in about a week. Already thinking about what to take. Have a bag of miscellany already started. Binoculars, wet-wipes, power cords for the electronics, AAA guide book, corkscrew, camera.... can you think of anything else we shouldn't go without?
Our initial thinking is to head to the Oregon Coast (Lincoln City) and drive down 101 to about the border on day one -- Brookings, maybe. Then take the next day to get to the heart of wine country. I hear Healdsburg and Anderson Valley are nice -- as well as Mendecino. We're playing it pretty loose and not making any advance reservations. I'll let you know as we go if this was a bright idea or not.
We took a little back-yard adventure today. Went to the Oregon City Locks. Pretty cool. I've always been facinated with the engineering of moving boats from the lower Willamette Falls to above the falls. Cool stuff. We walked down on a dock a little north of the locks to check out some fishing possibilities, too. That's where this picture of the 87-year old historic Oregon City/West Linn Arch Bridge was taken. Did you know it's going to be closed for repair starting later this year and lasting until 2011? I guess after 87 years, it really needs it!
Check back soon. I'll try to make daily posts once we hit the road.
Our initial thinking is to head to the Oregon Coast (Lincoln City) and drive down 101 to about the border on day one -- Brookings, maybe. Then take the next day to get to the heart of wine country. I hear Healdsburg and Anderson Valley are nice -- as well as Mendecino. We're playing it pretty loose and not making any advance reservations. I'll let you know as we go if this was a bright idea or not.
We took a little back-yard adventure today. Went to the Oregon City Locks. Pretty cool. I've always been facinated with the engineering of moving boats from the lower Willamette Falls to above the falls. Cool stuff. We walked down on a dock a little north of the locks to check out some fishing possibilities, too. That's where this picture of the 87-year old historic Oregon City/West Linn Arch Bridge was taken. Did you know it's going to be closed for repair starting later this year and lasting until 2011? I guess after 87 years, it really needs it!
Check back soon. I'll try to make daily posts once we hit the road.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home